Our family has been enjoying quinoa for a couple of years as a side dish or a dinner recipe like Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. I only recently started eating it as a breakfast as well. It sounded a little weird to me at first but I tried it when I bought Quinoa and Steel Cut Oatmeal from Trader Joe’s. I really liked the nutty flavor it added to the oatmeal. You can eat it without the oatmeal as well as in this recipe. I like the fact that I can change up the add-ins to add variety to my breakfast. Here is one of my favorite quinoa recipes.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups unsweetened nut or rice
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup raw slivered almonds
- 3 Tbsp dried cranberries or other dried fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat combine the unsweetened nut milk (or your favorite unsweetened dairy-free milk), and quinoa.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the stevia.
- Top with coconut, cranberries, and nuts and chia seeds.
- Enjoy warm. Add non-dairy milk as desired.