Mindful eating can be an important part of your fitness journey.
Mindful eating is one area that I have lots of room for improvement. I am guilty of eating too quickly and many times I don’t even really taste my food. I drink my breakfast smoothie at work at my desk while I’m working. I do better at lunch when I eat with my coworkers. Then at dinner I eat in front of the TV. As a result I think I sometimes overeat because I’m not paying attention to what I’m eating. Many times I don’t take the time to really taste and enjoy my food. I may miss the “I’m full” signal when I’m not paying attention.
Tips for mindful eating:
- Reduce distractions – sit at the table, turn off the TV, put down your smart phone – this will help you focus on the task at hand – eating
- Take your time – focus on the appearance and the smell. Take the time to taste each bite. Enjoy the different flavors in your meal. Try to identify all the different seasonings.
- Chew well. It helps you be more mindful and it’s better for your digestion. The digestive process starts in your mouth.
- Fresh is best – enjoy the freshest, highest quality foods you can afford.
- Enjoy your company – If you are eating with other people take the time to enjoy their company. Talk about the food – the appearance, the flavors. Thank the person that prepared it for you.
This may not happen for you all at once. It may be changing years of bad habits. Choose one meal to focus on at first. I think you will find that mindful eating will help you eat less and enjoy your food more.
This post is day 22 of 31 Days to Better Nutrition.