Today is the Day to Begin Your Fitness Journey
Have you ever felt that losing weight or getting in shape seems impossible? This post is for you. I read a quote today by Charles C. Noble that is the inspiration for this post. It read, “You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures.” So begin your transformation journey to a happier, healthier you by picturing what that might look like. Dwelling on how you look and feel right now is not productive and doesn’t get you up off the couch. I spent many years doing that so I know what I’m talking about. A couple of months ago I had an epiphany. I was already on a quest to “lose some weight.” Yes, my goal was that vague….”some weight.” I read an article about a lady in her 50’s that not only lost weight but became a bodybuilding champion. All of a sudden I had this thought that I had been selling myself short. I had the thought that I need to THINK BIGGER. I needed to see myself as more. I needed to see myself as being worth the journey…worth the work.
When I have set weight loss goals in the past I never set them low enough to be within my ideal body weight – I just wanted to be good enough. I began to change that thinking and see myself not only in a healthy weight range but FIT! When I began to think this way it was like a switch flipped in my head. Suddenly it all seemed possible. I began to be excited about working out and eating right. It totally changed my focus. I started realizing that I wasn’t on a diet but I was making permanent lifestyle changes. I have lost weight before but I was never fit.
So, where do you begin your fitness journey?
1. Set a goal. Think bigger. Think about what the ultimate you looks like and feels like. Go crazy. Be bold. Dare to dream. Write it down and commit to it. Then you can start working towards that goal one small step at a time. Break your goal down into small actionable steps.
2. Get an accountability partner. Studies show that people are more successful with weight loss and fitness when they have a support system for accountability. One easy way is to click here and join my team. I am an independent Beachbody coach and I love to help others take charge of their own health. Signing up to have a coach is free.
3. Start tracking your nutrition. Even before you make any changes in your eating it is helpful to start tracking every bite that goes into your mouth. You can do this on paper or online. My personal preference is myfitnesspal.com. The website is free and they have a great nutrition and fitness tracking system. Doing this every day will help you see what you are eating (including the bites that you take while you pack your kid’s lunches).
4. Take your measurements. Sometimes you can get frustrated when you see that the scale is not moving or (gasp!) moving in the wrong direction. This can happen when you first start building muscle. The scale may not show progress, but when you update your measurements you will see that you are actually slimming down.
5. Be patient. You didn’t get this way in just a week or two and it will take time to reach your goals. Forgive yourself when you get off track and move forward, pushing towards the goal. Begin your fitness journey today!